Read below for travel health advice on diseases and special needs from the MDtravelhealth channel.
Our zika page is under construction and we are accepting medical professionals from around the world to contribute 'on the ground' reports. If you are a medical professional and want to contribute to pages on this site like this one, please sign up for the MDtravelhealth channel
In the meanwhile probably the most comprehensive site for information on countries where the virus is endemic, and precautions is https://wwwnc.cdc.gov
Culicine mosquitos are mainly daytime biters, particularly the 2 hours around daylight and again before sunset, they will also feed at night if welcomed in by a bright light.
They are difficult to see as they hide behind and under furniture, unlike their Anopheline cousins who prefer ceilings and walls and are easily seen.
They sneak up from behind and bite your ankles or elbows if you are sitting in a chair, so be vigilant in tavernas, open air cafes, cinemas, and airport lounges in less developed countries, as they live in and breed around human habitation.
If you are hunting for an elusive biter in your hotel room, look in the bathroom as the female will be looking for water to lay her eggs after biting you….revenge is sweet!
You are advised to not to wear dark, animal-like, colours.
• Zika is a mosquito-borne virus.
• Symptoms may include fever, skin rash, conjunctivitis (inflammation of the “white” of the eye), muscle and joint pain, tiredness, and headache.
• Symptoms are usually mild and last for 2-7 days.
• Confirmatory diagnosis can only be confirmed through laboratory tests on blood or other body fluids (urine, saliva, semen).
• Usually requires no specific treatment but if a person has these symptoms they should get plenty of rest, drink fluids and treat pain and fever with common medicines.
• If symptoms worsen, seek medical care and advice.
• No vaccine is currently available.
• Zika virus can be transmitted through sex with a man or woman who has Zika (includes vaginal, anal or oral sex, and the sharing of sex toys).
• Zika can pass through sex even if the person does not have symptoms at the time.
• Zika infection is associated with adverse pregnancy and catastrophic fetal outcomes (congenital brain & neurological abnormalities).
• Zika infection is thought to be linked to Guillain-Barre syndrome as well as other neurological complications (presently being investigated).
• For pregnant women, postpone non-essential travel to areas at high risk of Zika virus transmission.
• Consider postponing non-essential travel to areas at moderate risk of Zika virus transmission until after pregnancy (WHO , CDC, NHS of UK)
Do you have any comments on this resource page? We want to tell the Red Planetter community about this condition or advice.
You don't need an account or have to sign up or anything!
Is there anything missing that you know about? Or can you offer any insightful tips from your experience?
You can earn Reputation score by joining our community and also enrol on the TravelTip$ program and get paid for good advice by other travellers.
If you are not logged in, or choose to make the drop box anonymously you can tell the community honestly what you seen without any concern. Please send images or other evidence to support your claims.
The MDtravelhealth channel is a source of travel health information for travellers, written by medical professionals.
The MDtravelhealth channel relies on medical professionals from all over the world to maintain the Travel Health Information on these pages.
Topic Tags are what bind the Red Planet Travel site together, and are very important.
This place has been tagged:
Ask any travel related question or help others with your experience and earn Reputation Score and become a valued member of our community.
Before you apply read about the Medical Professionals Roles on Red Planet TravelYou need to be logged in and have applied to MDth channel to contribute to this page.
We are looking to grow the information on this site, if you have something to contribute to any page then we'd like to hear from you.
What's more you can now earn money (paid direct via Paypal) for writing descriptions about places you know.
You will need to tell other members about yourself and your relevant knowledge and experience about what you want to contribute about.
Look below for some example page types, and types of people whose views on a place might be useful to know.
Page Type: Hotel
Tell us your job, knowledge, experience..
My Experience: Doctor
If you are the owner/manager of any place, then you can, of course, take control of your page and add relevant information other visitors might want to know